Renaissance

 


The Piece that I chose was the Mona Lisa as it is still very relevant today. At the time seeing an oil painting capture such realism was very influential and even inspired other artist to create similar works from Leonardo Da Vinci's Mona Lisa. This painting was birthed in Florence sometime between 1503 - 1519. That such a simple painting that captures a women faintly smiling could cause such an impact on art in the Italian Renaissance era. Personally I would own a copy of this piece as I love the discussions still being discussed about this piece of art. How it influences the art world even today. Her smile is almost mysterious but calming at the same time. I also find it fascinating that a simple portrait of a simple women could be so beautiful. This piece is timeless. 

 As this painting became a treasure for many and has been stolen many times. Which is another reason why I would love a copy of this painting because it’s story is even more intriguing. Her smile is almost hypnotic in a way, she may have her own reasons for smiling and her expression is confusing in a way because of how difficult it is to directly know what that expression is. Happiness, calmness, or worry? This is another reason why art enthusiasts  and historian can become obsessed with the piece because Da Vinci was able to capture  such a complicated expression in one seemingly normal painting. 

How is Humanism Reflected In This Painting?

As humanism is more focused on what it is to be human, this piece is a perfect example. There could be many meanings behind her smile, which is what historians still discuss when breaking down Da Vinci's work. As displayed, her smile is subtle, minor, and gentle. Nothing overbearing or intense, but just reflects a sense of subtle joy. 

- Blakeslee, Sandra. “What Is It with Mona Lisa's Smile? It's You!” The New York Times, The New York Times, 21 Nov. 2000, https://www.nytimes.com/2000/11/21/science/what-is-it-with-mona-lisa-s-smile-it-s-you.html.

“Why Is the Mona Lisa so Famous?” Encyclopædia Britannica, Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc., https://www.britannica.com/story/why-is-the-mona-lisa-so-famous.

Comments

  1. Ahh, the Mona Lisa. An incredibly famous work and almost the cover image of the Renaissance. Your analysis of the painting is great, but it's a piece I've never fully understood personally. I like how soft Da Vinci made her skin appear, and it's a beautiful painting, but I still don't understand why this became the painting to define the era. That being said, your connection to the clear humanistic ideas is very solid. There's nothing I'm thinking about when looking at the Mona Lisa beyond, well, the Mona Lisa (or Madam Lisa Giocondo to be presumably exact). Who is she? What is she thinking?' I think the fact that these are the first questions I think of, rather than 'why is she being painted? or 'what's the meaning of this?' says a lot about how well humanism bleeds into the piece, brushstroke by brushstroke. Maybe this is what really sets the Mona Lisa apart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jade! To me the Mona Lisa is a very confusing work of art, I've always wondered who she was or why it is such a popular and well known painting. Da Vinci did do a very well job on this and what stands out to me the most is how detailed her clothing is and her smile. The texture on her clothing is very life-like and it's like I can just feel it through the painting. Her smile, it's something else and it really makes me think what she was thinking about or who she really was.
    Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jade! I'm glad you took a look at this piece, it's so prevalent in our culture but we sometimes forget to take a closer look at why that is. I enjoyed learning about the many ways you could interpret the smile and how it relates to humanism in the Renaissance. I do wish we could learn more about the artistic elements such as tone and form that were used to create this, or how it used techniques of the time. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, someone actually picked this piece! I have always had the same fascination with this painting, its contradictory nonverbal cues associated with such a relaxed smile really brings the curiosity forward. The Mona Lisa has been a widely known and recognized symbol of art, but to honest, I had not connected it with the renaissance period before this class. My favorite paintings (Mona Lisa, and starry night) are fascination points I hope to find people choose them, as I want to focus on pieces that I have yet to discover during this class. The color contrast of this painting has always pulled me in, the dark undertones but bright colors really contradict each other and yet manage a unified front for this painting. Though this painting may seem simple, the expression, symbolism it has become for art, and the confusion it still insights make the consistent recognition well earned.

    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Romanticism Era, Realism v. Romanticism

World War II Artwork